The International Myeloma Foundation (IMF) sponsored a Journalists' Workshop during the American Society of Hematology Meeting in San Diego on Monday, December 12, 2011. Click to watch a webcast of the workshop.
This panel discussion, featuring leading myeloma experts from around the world, focused on advancements in leading therapies being presented at ASH 2011.
The Workshop featured
- Dr. Brian Durie, Program Moderator: Dr. Durie, the Chairman and Co-Founder of the IMF, moderated this panel of experts, from his point-of-view as a world-leading myeloma specialist. He discussed how current data become new paradigms of treatment.
TOPIC: LONG-TERM MAINTENANCE THERAPY
- Dr. Phillipe Moreau, University Hospital (Nantes, France): Dr. Moreau gave an update on safety and efficacy from the Intergroup Francophone Du Myelome (IFM) study on Maintenance Treatment with REVLIMID®.
- Dr. Robert Z. Orlowski, MD Anderson Cancer Center: Dr. Orlowski presented an update of clinical data on the five year follow-up of patients treated VELCADE®
TOPIC: NEXT GENERATION TREATMENTS
- Dr. Paul G. Richardson, Dana Farber Cancer Institute: Dr. Richardson, who is also a member of the IMF Board of Scientific Board, gave an update on pomalidomide in patients with advanced myeloma who have had multiple prior therapies, including patients who are refractory to both Revlimid and VELCADE.
- Dr. Robert Z. Orlowski, reviewed data on carfilzomib, in patients ranging from newly diagnosed to relapsed/refractory.
And for a special treat, 70 year-old myeloma marathoner, Don Wright, was also there. Don started running marathons when he was diagnosed with myeloma eight years ago. Since then, he's run 60 marathons in 41 states. Don is on pomalidomide.
Click to watch a webcast of the workshop.