Summer 2013 Volume 9, Issue 7:
Myeloma Today Summer 2013
- The Black Swan Research Initiative
- An interview with Dr. Kazuyuki Shimizu
- The Nurse Leadership Board talks about New Paradigms in Multiple Myeloma Management
- Dear Reader:
- The IMF convened the first-ever Global Leaders’ Summit in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Scientific & Clinical:
- Dr. Kazuyuki Shimizu, president of the 14th International Myeloma Workshop (IMW), shares some of the highlights of this important biennial event.
- IMF Chairman Dr. Brian G.M. Durie discusses the Black Swan Research Initiative™ (BSRI™), an exciting breakthrough in myeloma.
- Nurse Leadership Board:
- The NLB presents New Paradigms in Multiple Myeloma Management Satellite Symposium, a satellite symposium at the 38th Annual Congress of the Oncology Nursing Society (ONS).
- Supportive Care:
- IMF Hotline Coordinators Answer Your Questions - "What is clonal evolution?”
- Medical Updates:
- The latest myeloma research that was presented at ASCO 2013 is now available to YOU with the click of a mouse!
- Live from Stockholm – The IMF brings the latest myeloma news to a global audience via live and recorded webcasts, including…
- IMWG Conference Series Debate: Making Sense of Treatment
- Multiple Myeloma Journalists’ Workshop
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) fast-tracks the human CD38 monoclonal antibody daratumumab.
- Dr. Brian G.M Durie is featured on BBC radio program “Food, Cancer and Well-Being,” an in-depth look at the role of diet.
- IMF Responds to proposed changes in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) PET scan policy.
- Dr. Suzanne Lentzsch, a myeloma researcher at Columbia University Medical Center and member of the IMF’s International Myeloma Working Group (IMWG) wins a $100,000 research grant from the American Society of Hematology (ASH).
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) is creating a searchable database of information on the treatment of cancer patients typically not studied in clinical trials.
- Staff Updates:
- IMF welcomes Kelly Quiggle and Miko Santos.
- Education and Awareness:
- Spotlight on Advocacy
- IMF holds Capitol Hill briefing on health disparities in cancer
- Introduction of H.R.1801, the Cancer Drug Coverage Parity Act
- The IMF Advocacy Voice: Get Fired Up! Raise Your Voice! Get Out There and Take Action!
- How to contact the IMF Advocacy Team
- 2013 Myeloma Awareness Month report from Robin Tuohy (Senior Director, Support Groups) and Aimee Martin (Grassroots Liaison)
- International Affiliates: Updates from Around the Globe
- IMF in China by Dr. Brian G.M. Durie
- AMN meeting in Japan by Dan Navid
- Support Groups:
- 2013 has truly become the year of the MM support groups, with 22 new groups holding or organizing their inaugural gatherings!
- Investing in the Future:
- John & Dorothy O’Dwyer, founding donors for The Black Swan Research Initiative™ make a commitment of $500,000 with the goal of finding the cure for myeloma
- Charitable Gift Annuities:
- IMF announces new donor program
- The epitome of a win-win investment
- Member Events - IMFers raise funds to benefit myeloma community
- The IMF plays at Ladies Game Day
- Iron Chef Fun-Raiser
- Dairy Queen for a Day
- Shop for the Cure!
- 2013 IMF Calendar of Events
- Letters to the IMF