You can view the entire document as a PDF by clicking on the icon below, or by requesting a free hard copy from the Foundation.
Click on the image to view PDF
“Adherence” to an oral therapy means that in order to achieve the best results:
- You take the correct medicine.
- You take the correct dose.
- You take your medication in the correct manner.
- You take your medication for the prescribed length of time.
- No doses are taken in the wrong quantity.
- No doses are taken at the wrong time.
- No doses are missed.
- No extra doses are taken.
In the case of myeloma, there are currently three FDA-approved treatments available to myeloma patients that are taken orally: Thalomid® (thalidomide), Revlimid® (lenalidomide), and Pomalyst® (pomalidomide).
Several other oral therapies for myeloma are currently in clinical trials. Oral therapy now plays, and will continue to play, an important role in treating myeloma. Adhering to the doctor’s treatment plan – and seeking help for any possible problems that could cause deviation from that plan – are crucial to achieving the best possible treatment outcome.