STEP 1: KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DEALING WITH - GET THE CORRECT DIAGNOSIS
STEP 1- REFERENCES
- International Myeloma Working Group updated criteria for the diagnosis of multiple myeloma. Lancet Oncol 2014; 15: e538–48
- Plasma cell leukemia: consensus statement on diagnostic requirements, response criteria and treatment recommendations by the International Myeloma Working Group. Leukemia advance online publication, 4 January 2013; doi:10.1038/leu.2012.336
- IMWG criteria for the diagnosis of myeloma and guidelines for the diagnostic work-up of myeloma. Leukemia (2009), 1-15.
- IMWG molecular classification of Multiple Myeloma.
- NCCN Guidelines - Version 1, 2012
- Impact of Optimal Follow-up of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance on early diagnosis and prevention of myeloma-related complications. Bianci, BLOOD 2010 116:2019-2025
- Are all Myelomas preceded by MGUS? Blade, BLOOD 2009 113:5370
- MGUS and SMM: Novel Biological Insights and Development of early treatment strategies. Landgren, BLOOD 2011 117:5573-5581
- Obesity is Associated with an Increased Risk of MGUS among Black and White Women, Landgren, BLOOD 2010 116: 1056-1059
- Risk of MGUS and Subsequent MM among African American & White Veterans in the United States. Landgren, BLOOD 2006 1007: 904-906
- Risk of Plasma Cell and Lymphoproliferative Disorders among 14621 first-degree relatives of 4458 patients of MGUS in Sweden. Landgren BLOOD 2009 114: 791-795
- Risk of Acute Myeloid Leukemia & Myelodysplastic Syndromes after multiple myeloma and it’s precursor disease (MGUS) Mailankody, BLOOD 2011; 118: 4086-4092
- Increased Risk of Monoclonal Gammopathy in first degree relatives of patients with MM or MGUS. Vachon, BLOOD 2009, 114; 785-790
- A Monoclonal Gammopathy Precedes MM in Most Patients. Weiss, BLOOD 2009, 113: 5418-5422
- Beyond the CRAB symptoms: A Study of Presenting Clinical Manifestations of Multiple Myeloma. Talamo 2010 Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma & Leukemia.
- Multi-parameter flow cytometry quantification of bone marrow plasma cells at diagnosis provides more prognostic information than morphological assessment in myeloma patients. Blade, 2009 Haematologica
- Patterns of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance and Multiple Myeloma in Various ethnic/racial groups: support for genetic factors in pathogenesis. Landgren 2009 Leukemia 23, 1691-1697
- Disease Associations with MGUS: A population-based study of 17,398 patients. Bida Mayo Clinic Proceedings 2009: 84(8): 685-693
- MGUS Significant Beyond Hematology. Letter to the Editor, Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009 September 84(9): 842-847
- Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance. Blade, NEJM 2006: 355-26
- Cytogenetic profiles in multiple myeloma and monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance: a study in highly purified aberrant plasma cells. Schmidt-Hieber et al. Haematologica 2012; 98(2): 279-287
STEP 1- SUB-GROUP OF REFERENCES
- BENZENE Exposure and Multiple Myeloma. A detailed Meta-Analysis of Benzene Cohort Studies, 2006 Ann. N.Y. Academic Sc.
- Cancer Risk Among Firefighters: A Review and Meta-Analysis of 32 Studies, LeMasters, Ph.D. 2006 JOEM
- Multiple Myeloma in World Trade Center Responders: A Case Series. Moline, M.D. M.S. 2009 JOEM