In the News:
What's New in Myeloma Research:
- A molecular study of the t(4;14) in multiple myeloma.
IMF Scientific Advisor Gareth J. Morgan is a co-author of this study
Targeted mutation in the translocated FGFR3 gene when under the control of the immunoglobulin promoters can occur and may provide one mechanism for disease progression.
- One Voice Against Cancer (OVAC) advocates are scheduled to meet with members of Congress about the need for cancer research funding. We encourage you to join with advocates in your area to spread the OVAC message.
Meetings have been scheduled with Rep. Don Sherwood (Scranton, PA) on August 26 and Rep. Nancy Pelosi (San Francisco, CA) on August 28.
Please contact Greg Brozeit at email@example.com or 818-728-4291 if you are interested in attending to represent the IMF and the myeloma community or if you wish to schedule meetings with your members of Congress.
Items of Interest:
- The IMF 's 12th Anniversary Gala, Ribbon of Hope - Making a World of Difference, will be held on October 5, 2002, at the Ritz-Carlton in Washington, DC.
This year we are thrilled to honor Daniel Smith, the National Vice President, Federal & State Government Relations for the American Cancer Society and One Voice Against Cancer (OVAC).
In addition we will be presenting the Ribbon of Hope Award to Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison and Senator Barbara Milkulski. This year's Courage Award will be presented to The Honorable Geraldine Ferraro and Tom Bay, Ph.D. And we are pleased to announce that Deborah S. Doss, R.N., O.C.N. is the recipient of our Quality of Care Award.
We would love to see all of you there, however we know that many of you might not be able to attend. The IMF would like you to consider buying one $300 ticket to enable one patient—who might otherwise be unable to attend—to join us for what we know will be a wonderful and uplifting evening. The person attending will be there as your ambassador; you will be acknowledged at the event.
The IMF is people helping people. Thank you for all you do to help the IMF help others and make a world of difference.
- The OMNI Network matches oncology nurses chosen from the local community with cancer support groups. They present a 45-minute interactive educational session to the group that includes discussion, patient materials, and resources. Take advantage of this collaborative effort between the IMF and Oncology Nurses and schedule a session for your support group.
- Myeloma Matrix now available!
The IMF is committed to providing a total overview of the "future" as well as the current state of myeloma treatments. The Myeloma Matrix provides updated information about drugs beginning with pre-clinical developments and tracks drugs as they proceed through Phases I – III of clinical trials, drugs that have been FDA approved, and information on trials that are being conducted by NCI- sponsored cooperative groups as well as other myeloma study groups. Call the toll-free hotline (800) 452-2873 for your copy.
Important Dates to Remember:
International Myeloma Foundation Multiple Myeloma Awareness Week
August 26th - September 1st
Ribbon of Hope: Making A World of Difference 12th Anniversary Gala
Melphalan, Total-Body Irradiation, and Peripheral Stem Cell Transplantation Compared With Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Patients With Previously Untreated Multiple Myeloma.
Combination Chemotherapy With or Without Interferon alfa in Treating Patients With Previously Untreated Multiple Myeloma.
Combination Chemotherapy in Treating Patients With Multiple Myeloma.
Conditioning Therapy and Blood or Marrow Transplantation in Patients With Severe Hematologic Malignancy.
Epoetin Alfa in Patients With Multiple Myeloma and Chemotherapy Related Anemia.
Three Regimens For the Prevention of Delayed Nausea After Chemotherapy in Patients With Chemotherapy-Naive Cancer.
- Multiple Myeloma Quilt of Courage
All the squares for the first quilt have been sold! For those of you who are contributing to the first quilt, you have to have your squares into the IMF by August 26th.
We are now taking orders for the second quilt. Deadline will be September 27th.
- The live auction for 12th Anniversary Gala promises to be spectacular! Here are just a few of the exciting items that have been donated:
- Adorable chocolate Labrador puppy
This puppy is representative of the donated puppy
and may not be the exact dog auctioned.
- Six days and five nights at the Villagio Inn in Yountville/Napa Valley including spa treatments and airfare
- Original Joshua Ellenberg painting
- Safari to Africa for two
- Diamond necklace
- 4 days, 3 nights at the Canyon Ranch Spa in the Berkshire Mountains for two
- Colorado River Adventure for two, for one week
- Nicole Miller original gown, designed especially for the IMF, including alterations
- Two Redskins Tickets in special box seats, plus a party after the game in Dan Snyder's private box
- Five nights at the Clarion Hotel in Paris plus Business Class airfare.
Help Us Help Others...
As a non-profit organization, the IMF is completely dependent on the support of our members. Please consider showing your support by making a tax-deductible donation today. Donations in honor of a friend or family member make great gifts and are a wonderful way to celebrate a special occasion. You can donate online or by calling the IMF at (800) 452-CURE. We sincerely thank you for your support.
View Back Issues Online...
New to the IMF Myeloma Minute? See what you've been missing by viewing previous issues online!
Tell A Friend...
The Myeloma Minute is a great way to stay abreast of the latest developments within the myeloma community. We hope you'll share this information with friends, family members and physicians and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by forwarding this message. New users can register by clicking here.